Homemade simple syrup is the home cook’s secret weapon. A little sugar, water and fruit infusion is so simple to make and will knock the socks off your friends and family. I have several syrups in my fridge at any given time, as it’s a great way to use over-ripe fruit. This creamsicle concoction from Tara is heavenly! -Maggie
With berries, cherries, peaches, and plums taking up all of my attention as of late, a few oranges sat lonely and untouched in my fruit bowl. Armed with memories of ice cream truck-filled childhood summers, I set out to create an homage to the creamy, dreamy treat of youth: the Creamsicle.
Truthfully, I was more likely to grab a Fudgsicle or one of those Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle bars with the gumball eyes, but now the citrus & spice combination is an obsession of mine (I even keep a Pinterest board of all things orange vanilla, which proves I’m not alone in loving this duo). Two common flavors combine to create something that’s greater than the sum of its parts, subtly sophisticated, yet simply accessible.
This syrup couldn’t be easier to make or enjoy. Stir into sparkling wine, seltzer, or green tea for a refreshing summer beverage, or drizzle over buttered biscuits, pancakes, or yogurt for a sweet breakfast.
Orange Vanilla Simple Syrup
Makes: 2 cups
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 orange
- 1 vanilla pod or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel of the orange in strips, avoiding the bitter pith. Add to the saucepan. Juice the orange and add to the saucepan.
- Remove the seeds from the vanilla pod and reserve for another use. Add the pod (or extract) to the syrup, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until reduced by 1/3, or until you reach the desired consistency.
- Remove the pod and peel, cool syrup to room temperature, and enjoy.
Eat Boutique was an award-winning shop and story-driven recipe site created by Maggie Battista – an author, business guide and alignment seeker. After hosting retail markets for 25,000+ guests, Maggie now supports entrepreneurs as they create values-based businesses through We Are Magic Studio. Follow Maggie Battista on Instagram.