We all love a one pot dinner, but usually think of a slow cooker in winter or hearty stew on the stove, right? What about a one platter dinner for summer? We think a family style salad would be just right. The added bonus is Jill’s recipe makes it easy for me to clean out the fridge at the same time or take a stroll through the garden to see what’s ready. What will you add to her list from your own fridge? -Maggie
I have always been intimated by salads. Someone else’s salad always seem so fresh, more lively, and more interesting. I’ve come to realize through the years, however, that creating a salad is sort of like arranging flowers — a play of colors, shapes, textures and flavors — and that some of the best salads have been happy accidents, thrown together from a forage in the garden or fridge.
One-off salads without a recipe, pulled together with some great extra virgin olive oil, the freshest ingredients, and a handful of herbs have become the best salads in my repertoire.
This meal-in-one salad, with a quick simple sweet mustard vinaigrette, is exactly that.
Served on a large platter, family style, makes it super easy and a good weeknight meal, especially hearty topped with parmesan cheese, egg or even grilled chicken or fish.
What scrumptious salad will you be making this week?
Family Style Summer Salad
Ingredients:For the Salad
- Assortment of leafy greens: romaine, kale, chopped uniformly
- Colorful additions of finely chopped radicchio and cherry tomatoes
- Blanched french beans and peas
- Boiled eggs halved
- Parmesan cheese, grated or shaved
- Handful of fresh herbs like dill, tarragon, or chives
- a teaspoon each of grainy mustard and sweet mustard
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
Directions:Making the Salad
- Combine ingredients on a large platter.
- Whisk together mustards, balsamic, olive oil, sugar and salt till thick and emusified.
- Pour over salad, or can be stored in the fridge for a few days until ready to use.
Eat Boutique is an award-winning shop and story-driven recipe site created by Maggie Battista – an author, business guide and alignment seeker. After hosting pop-up markets for 25,000+ guests, Maggie is now supporting entrepreneurs as they create values-based businesses in service, food, & retail through Eat Boutique Studio. Follow Maggie Battista on Instagram.