I rarely buy jam nowadays. I am so impressed with what a little low heat, sugar and fruit can turn into in a matter of an hour or two. I made this jam with a pile of pears from my local farm. The vanilla extract was homemade. The ginger, pineapple and lemons came to my kitchen from far away but were sourced organically by the same local farm who got me those pears.
During this past Thanksgiving, each guest slathered some of this jam on their bread on the day after, along with a big pat of butter. Then each guest went home with a golden-hued jam jar. I’m giving them away this holiday season too, and found a lovely version of Pear Jam from Silverbrook Farm to include in my holiday giftbox.
Pear Pineapple Ginger Jam
- 12 pears, cleaned, cored, peeled and sliced into 1" pieces
- 1 stub of ginger, peeled
- 1 whole pineapple, cleaned, cored and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 cup of lemon juice, 4 big lemons juiced
- 4 1/2 cups of organic sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water
- Toss all the ingredients into a pot on the stove. Simmer over medium-low heat until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer until mixture drops thickly from spoon, stirring often, about 1 hour. Remove the ginger carefully.
- While still hot, pour the jam into small 4-ounce jars and water-bath them according to your own canning process. I water-bathed these jars for about 20 minutes, and then carefully removed the jars to rest on a towel until cool. Label the jars and give away liberally!
Eat Boutique is an award-winning shop and story-driven recipe site created by Maggie Battista–shop girl, writer, author, and creative business coach. After hosting pop-up markets for 25,000+ guests, Maggie is working to open her first permanent Eat Boutique–a food-retail concept space with a new way to the very best food–as well as coaching women in food to reach life and business goals. Her second cookbook, A New Way to Food: 100 Recipes to Encourage a Healthy Relationship with Food, Nourish Your Beautiful Body, and Celebrate Real Wellness for Life, will be published by Roost Books on February 5, 2019.