Welcome to the Save Summer Giveaway! I’m so excited to share with you the way I save summer with three quick recipes from Food Gift Love (one each week) that preserve summer beautifully and take care of your holiday gifts in August (I know, right?). Oh, and you can also win a pretty sweet prize: one Simple Peace French Market Tote filled with a three-pound box of Frog Hollow farm-fresh fruit, a signed copy of Food Gift Love, a Le Parfait Jar, and several other goodies. There are three weekly giveaways, so be sure to check back each week and enter.
What to make this week: I am crazy about strawberries, especially at the height of their summer sweetness. This strawberry cordial comes together in just a few minutes (with a few days of waiting sprinkled in), and makes a really beautiful gift for your favorite fruit lovers. Friends and family can enjoy this cordial as sangria, in a salad, or even over ice cream. Make a batch now, and check holiday gifts off your list come winter. And don’t forget to enter!
How to enter: To enter this week’s giveaway, comment on our Strawberry Cordial Instagram photo with an answer to the question: What is your favorite summer fruit? For an extra entry, tag a friend. For an extra, extra entry, Instagram a photo of your favorite summer fruit and use the hashtag #EBsavesummer. Or, you can also leave comment below of what fruit you love, if you prefer.
We’ll randomly pick ONE winner on Monday, August 15, 2016. If your name is picked, we’ll notify you between August 16-19 and ship to you directly shortly thereafter. Please reply within 48 hours, or we’ll need to choose another winner. (Don’t forget the fine print: We can only ship to continental U.S. addresses.)
Be sure to check the Save Summer Giveaway page to get all of the details!
Makes: 1 (750-Milliliter) Bottle
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- 2 pints (about 1 pound) strawberries, washed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle vodka
- 1 glass jar that holds at least 2 quarts with airtight lid, sterilized
- Cheesecloth or coffee filter (optional)
- 1 (750-milliliter) glass bottle with airtight lid, sterilized
- Narrow-mouth funnel
- Hull the strawberries, removing and discarding the green core and green leaves. Pile the strawberries into your clean glass jar. Add the sugar and vodka. Stir to combine.
- Store in a cool, dark spot in your kitchen and stir every 3 to 4 days. The sugar will dissolve over the next week.
- After 7 days, open your jar and taste. The sugar should have dissolved, and the taste should be sweet. Strain the cordial, discarding the strawberries. If you'd like to remove any tiny particles, strain again through cheesecloth or a coffee filter (if using).
- Pour your Strawberry Cordial into a new glass jar, or divide among several small ones, and store at room temperature up to 6 months. You can also put it in the freezer 30 minutes just before serving to ensure that it's ice cold. Serve on its own in a tiny cordial glass, or use as a base to a little sparkling wine cocktail.
- Glass bottle with airtight lid
- Masking tape
- Transfer the Strawberry Cordial to a clean pretty bottle. Wipe the rim and seal. Write the label on masking tape and adhere it to the bottle. Wrap string around the bottle a few times and tie it in a knot. Leave the string long so the recipient may reuse.
Eat Boutique is the go-to resource for all things food gifts, including one-of-a-kind, small-batch products and inspirational articles. We’ve got food gifts in our award-winning shop and story-driven recipes for everyday cravings, special occasions, and for anyone who needs a little food gift love—and, really, who doesn’t?!