I am consistently searching for a sweet little something for those afternoon moments when I can’t seem to distract myself by a long walk, a peek at the ocean (which is nearby), or even a good book. This special recipe came together during one such moment, and with just a few ingredients from my everyday pantry stash!
Drinking chocolate cold is pretty new to me. I love it all hot and rich and smooth, but it’s just as good whizzed up with some ice and made into a super quick dessert. There’s no need for extra sweetener in this charming cup; the chocolate is sweet enough. And with a big spoonful of whipped coconut cream, well, excuse me while I disappear for a moment, with my cup.
Come spring and summer, try icing it up. Also, a box of drinking chocolate and a jar of whipped coconut cream make a pretty snazzy and unique gift.
Thank you to American Heritage Chocolate for providing the chocolate. As always, my opinions and stories are my own.
Frozen Dark Chocolate Smoothie with Whipped Coconut Cream
Makes: 1 smoothie
- 1 13-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon light honey
- 1/2 cup drinking chocolate, plus extra for garnish (I used American Heritage Chocolate, but your favorite extra rich, dark chocolate will do nicely)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 cups ice
- Place the sealed can of coconut milk in the fridge for 24 hours prior to whipping. Open the can, scoop the cream off the top and into a bowl. Reserve the liquid for another use (like your morning smoothie!)
- Add honey to coconut cream and with a hand-blender or electric mixer, whip until lighter and fluffier. Set aside. (On its own, it also makes a great gift to a dairy-free friend or coconut lover.)
- Add drinking chocolate to a measuring cup or bowl. Boil a kettle of water. Add 1/2 cup boiling water to drinking chocolate and whisk until well-combined and fully melted. Add chocolate drink and ice to a powerful blender. Blend until smooth, icy and frothy.
- Pour tiny glasses of your frozen dark chocolate smoothie and garnish with a spoonful of whipped coconut cream and extra drinking chocolate, if using.
Eat Boutique is the go-to resource for all things food gifts, including one-of-a-kind, small-batch products and inspirational articles. We’ve got food gifts in our award-winning shop and story-driven recipes for everyday cravings, special occasions, and for anyone who needs a little food gift love—and, really, who doesn’t?!