Before I skipped town, I wrote a few recipes for your spring-time enjoyment. Here’s one of them. Enjoy and I’ll be back soon, promise! ~Maggie
Polenta is one of those foods that practically shouts comfort. I don’t make it all that often, I suppose, because it takes a longer cook to get it tender and billowy, and also traditionally lends itself well to a rich tomato-filled ragu.
Scratch all that now.
Once I figured out that a quick soak softens the grain, just like it does for nuts or any other longer-cooking grain, polenta got added into my weeknight dinner repertoire.
And, frankly, forget the ragu. Polenta is equally stunning topped with sweet and savory toppings and served like a big bowl of oatmeal, only it’s polenta and thus, just a wee bit more delicious.
This recipe is standard Sunday morning fare in these parts, with the toppings determined by whatever is in your pantry or your particular cravings on any given day. Soak the polenta in a jar with about twice the volume of water overnight. Once you wake, it will take less than 15 minutes to bring breakfast together, beautifully.
By the way, this dish is both vegan and gluten-free, if that sort of thing matters to you. However, if you prefer full-on dairy, use your favorite milk.
Polenta Breakfast Porridge
Makes: 4 small servings, or 2 large
- 1 cup polenta
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 1/2 banana
- 2 tablespoons cashew milk
- 2 tablespoons blueberries
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- Soak the polenta in jar of water overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Add the polenta and 3 cups water to a medium pot over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring to ensure the polenta doesn’t burn, until the polenta is tender and soft. Add the cashew milk during the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking.
- Add polenta to a bowl and top with suggested ingredients, or whatever seems delicious to you.
Eat Boutique is the go-to resource for all things food gifts, including one-of-a-kind, small-batch products and inspirational articles. We’ve got food gifts in our award-winning shop and story-driven recipes for everyday cravings, special occasions, and for anyone who needs a little food gift love—and, really, who doesn’t?!