This summer has been filled with an embarrassment of (delicious) riches. From the Plum-Frangipane Crostatas to the Streusel Topped Blueberry Pie, the Smitten Kitchen Ice Cream Cake to these Boozy Aperol Limemade Popcicles, and then this Champagne and Peach Sorbet Float. And to be clear, we’re not going out without a bang, or a little more sparkle. Thank you, Mary. Grilled Peach Nectar Mimosas for all! -Maggie
It’s been The Summer of Portable Cocktails around these parts — cucumber vodka and soda inside stainless steel water bottles; hard ciders out of Solo cups; Moscato sipped from single-serve, screw-topped cartons — all in the name of enjoying a little incognito imbibing on the beach, on a bench in a seaside park, or sitting in the stands of a summer league baseball game.
Warm weather and long days are the hallmarks of summer, and after squeezing every last drop from every day, most people could use a proper celebratory cocktail to toast the end of the season: two parts looking back fondly, one part ready for the structure that fall brings.
Wrap the best of summer in a neat little package and you’ve got this drink. It’s a little too fancy for the beach, and that’s just the point – let’s sit ourselves down and enjoy a slow, slightly indulgent moment with a pretty cocktail in a proper glass before the insanity of back-to-school and fall sports and “Thanksgiving is here already?” begins.
The kicker in this cocktail is the homemade peach nectar. Put all of those peaches in your CSA to good use and make this, stat, and freeze any leftover for future mixed drinks or ice cream-topping use; you won’t regret it. Better yet, split the extra up into little jars and get your “food gift love” on.
And the edible glitter stars? A little goes a long way, and the irony of such a sparkly, glamorous touch will not be lost on you as you sit barefoot on your patio, with a mop of matted, sea-salted hair and your skin sticky with sunblock. You deserve it, you little piece of sunshine.
Glittered Peach Nectar Mimosas
- 2 cups peaches, pitted, peeled, and sliced (I used a mix of yellow and white peaches here)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Prosecco or Champagne
- Edible glitter (optional)
- Place the sliced peaches and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil, and let boil for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar and lemon juice. Add the warm peaches and sugar/lemon mixture to a blender and puree until liquefied.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill through, about 30 minutes. (Note: as the peach nectar settles, the water and fruit may separate; give it a quick stir or blend before serving.)
- Fill 1/2 glass with chilled Prosecco or Champagne and top with peach puree. Sprinkle lightly with edible glitter and enjoy!
Eat Boutique is the go-to resource for all things food gifts, including one-of-a-kind, small-batch products and inspirational articles. We’ve got food gifts in our award-winning shop and story-driven recipes for everyday cravings, special occasions, and for anyone who needs a little food gift love—and, really, who doesn’t?!