My fridge is filled with condiments and I find they make the very best #foodgiftlove to the man, husband, father, backyard barbecue person in your life. I want to drizzle Matthew’s Spicy Mayonnaise onto just grilled vegetables or a potluck potato salad. If you like grilled potatoes, it would no doubt be a stellar dipping sauce. Husband, take note. -Maggie
My love affair with peanut sauce is no secret, and the fact that there was a time I would use it at least once daily should come as no surprise to those who know me well. Another of my condiment obsessions? Spicy mayo. It started innocently enough, as a dipping sauce at Japanese restaurants for maki rolls and shrimp tempura. However, I soon realized that it was imperative to take the tangy taste of this incredibly delicious mayo dip and using it for other culinary ventures. And so I did.
Use this mayo daily to perk up your mid-day sandwich at lunch; it pairs particularly well with any kind of cheese. Use it in place of regular mayonnaise, and bring some welcomed flavor to each bite. I’ve also found that spicy mayo dresses up noodle salads excellently – a cold noodle salad with freshly chopped carrots, peppers and celery tossed with this concoction is quite a pleaser. Additionally, if you’d like to use this as a salad dressing on your everyday variety of greens, I would not dissuade you.
While we’re on the subject of salads, swap the spicy mayo in place of the humdrum jarred variety with your next potato salad. It’s a wonderful combination and will make you the talk of the next barbecue or potluck meal that you attend. And if you really want to knock a recipe out of the park, why not dress up your next serving of fish tacos? The lightness of a white fish with the flavor of the spicy mayo transforms a somewhat ordinary bite into a complex and curious experience.
Let’s not overlook the most basic and satisfying way to use this…as a dip! Pretty much anything you can think to dip would taste good with this. Veggies, meats, bread…it’s really up to you.
I had my ideas on how to go about creating this, but in my research one unifying factor kept popping up that I was reluctant to use but unable to overlook: Sriracha. The fact is, it really does work and it really does taste like the Japanese restaurant variety. You could be brave and venture to make your own version of this renowned hot sauce, or you could use the tried and true store-bought variety. Whatever you choose, may you enjoy it and share with others!
- 1 large egg yolk (the fresher you can get, the better!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup oil (corn or grapeseed)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Add the paprika, salt and egg yolk in a mixing bowl and combine using a whisk. Add in half of the lemon and vinegar mixture and combine.
- Slowly (and very slowly…a few drops at a time) add in the oil while whisking away. Continue to whisk and add a little more oil. Once the mixture begins to thicken, you can add the oil at a slightly faster pace, all the time continuing to whisk. When half of the oil has been added, add in the remainder of the lemon and vinegar mixture. Whisk whisk whisk, adding in the remaining oil in a steady and slow stream until all ingredients are combined well. Next, whisk in the Sriracha and blend well. Refrigerate until use.
Photos taken and styled by Matthew.
Eat Boutique discovers the best small batch foods by boutique food makers and shares our version of #foodgiftlove. We share recipes, maker stories and city guides to eating boutique. We host tasting events and markets for food makers, cookbook authors and food fans. We craft seasonal, regional gift and tasting boxes and sell individual items that you can order in the Eat Boutique Shop. You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr and Pinterest.
Eat Boutique is the go-to resource for all things food gifts, including one-of-a-kind, small-batch products and inspirational articles. We’ve got food gifts in our award-winning shop and story-driven recipes for everyday cravings, special occasions, and for anyone who needs a little food gift love—and, really, who doesn’t?!