These muffins check all the homey boxes. Warm, nutty, and infused with the deep flavor of coffee, they’re a great baked good for a blustery day. Smell up the house with toasted coconut, get the kitchen all cozy and warm, and say adieu to winter! -Amy
I’ve never actually used coffee as an ingredient before, so this recipe was a first for me. I’m not saying that I won’t down several shots of espresso throughout the day, but to use the stuff in baking? No. I haven’t done that… until now.
These muffins have finely ground coffee added right in to the muffin mix. I was hesitant at first — I feared that the whole batch would taste of coffee grinds, ruining my baking experience. Happily, that did not happen. However, a strong coffee flavor comes through, and if you’re a lover of coffee you will adore these easy to bake treats.
The other star ingredient of these muffins is toasted coconut. They add a great texture and aroma to the mix. The kitchen smells pretty wonderful during the baking process; with coconut browning in the oven and the scent of fresh ground coffee beans floating through the air, you know that you’re making something good. These would be great on a Monday morning when you need that extra boost of energy to kick you into high gear — you know, in addition to the one or two cups of coffee you may already have loaded on-board.
Of course, baking and enjoying these treats over the weekend may also give you the energy to complete all of those tasks you’ve been putting off. These might help to give you the motivation to finally paint that hallway… or since spring is around the corner, perhaps you’ll finally complete that raised garden bed. Whatever the task, these should help.
I’d love to hear if these muffins actually do give anyone an extra kick in their step, so please share if you decide to make these and consequently find yourself installing a new lighting fixture in your home office or planting an entire row of shrubs for that privacy wall from the neighbors.
Toasted Coconut Coffee Muffins
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 5 ounces Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons ground coffee
- 3/4 cup milk
Directions:For the Toasted Coconut Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place coconut flakes on a baking sheet and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring when necessary to avoid burning.
- Remove from over when all flakes are browned. Set aside.
- While the coconut is toasting, cream the brown sugar and butter in a large bowl. Incorporate the eggs, one at a time. Then add the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract, and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and ground coffee until just combined.
- Add in half of the dry mix and half of the milk to the sugar-yogurt mixture, and mix to combine. Add in the remaining dry mix and milk and incorporate. Fold in 2/3 browned coconut flakes.
- Distribute batter into muffin tins/tray and bake for 20 to 22 minutes at 350°F.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the coconut flakes, and enjoy warm with butter!
Eat Boutique is the go-to resource for all things food gifts, including one-of-a-kind, small-batch products and inspirational articles. We’ve got food gifts in our award-winning shop and story-driven recipes for everyday cravings, special occasions, and for anyone who needs a little food gift love—and, really, who doesn’t?!