If I had my way, I’d wake up on Valentine’s morning and it would be Saturday. Every Valentine’s Day should be on a weekend, so we can linger over breakfast in bed with no errands to run or work to do. And we’d make this Cinnamon French Toast. I hope you’re enjoying Valentine-inspired recipes this week! – Maggie
I have never been a big celebrator of Valentine’s day; never expecting grand romantic gestures or lavish dinners. I actually wish that it was always as simple as it was in elementary school; you would get one paper valentine from everyone in your class along with some candy hearts. Simple and sweet. There is just too much pressure to have the perfect date night on that one day of the year these days.
My favorite way to show someone I care about them is to make something for them. It feels good to spend time preparing something knowing that someone you love will be the recipient of your efforts. I would much rather stay home and prepare a meal together than go out on Valentine’s Day. So I say ditch the roses and dinner and trade them in for some tulips and breakfast in bed.
This french toast starts with light, fluffy challah bread which gets coated with a subtle cinnamon and bright orange flavor. It’s a relatively quick recipe, making it perfect to whip it up for that special someone and enjoy a casual romantic breakfast for two.
Cinnamon French Toast
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- zest from one orange
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices of challah or brioche, cut about 3/4" thick
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a shallow bowl, combine milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and orange zest.
- In a frying pan over medium heat melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- One slice at a time dip the bread in the egg mixture, soaking one side and then flipping over to soak the other.
- Place two pieces of toast in frying pan and cook, approximately three minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Keep warm in the oven while you prepare the second set of slices
- Serve dusted with cinnamon & sugar, fresh fruit and maple syrup.
Eat Boutique is the go-to resource for all things food gifts, including one-of-a-kind, small-batch products and inspirational articles. We’ve got food gifts in our award-winning shop and story-driven recipes for everyday cravings, special occasions, and for anyone who needs a little food gift love—and, really, who doesn’t?!