Love means never having to apologize for needing a bit of chocolate every single afternoon. Dark or milk chocolate will do, and it’s even better paired with cheese or fruit or both. Jill satisfies my craving with this perfect pairing of a mild soft cheese with chocolate and strawberries. I know it would impress at Valentine’s Day served with a little sweet wine – perhaps a sparkling rose. If you’re looking for a chocolate for your next panini, we have a new favorite in the Eat Boutique Shop. Happy, almost, Valentine’s Day! -Maggie
How do I love thee? I show them with grilled cheese and chocolate. It sounds weird, but it’s really a rich, gooey, decadent dessert disguised as a sandwich. It’s also a breeze to assemble, leaving your more time to snuggle with your Valentine and open presents!
Begin by buttering the outside your favorite sandwich bread.
Add brie, ricotta or mascarpone cheese.
Top the cheese with in the best quality chocolate you can get your hands on.
Tuck in some strawberries, or any fruit you like, or even a spoonful of preserves.
Grill on medium-low heat and flip over carefully to toast the other side.
Serve immediately while it’s all hot and gooey. Warning: it’s messy, but in a really good way.
Chocolate and Cheese Panini
- Favorite sandwich bread
- 3-4 ounces of brie (or ricotta or mascarpone)
- Dark chocolate
- Strawberries (or favorite fruit or preserves)
- Butter the outside slices of bread for your sandwich. Lay on cutting board, buttered slices facing down.
- Layer slices of brie, chunks of chocolate, and strawberries on the non-buttered sides of the bread and close the sandwich, buttered slices facing out.
- Place sandwich, buttered side down, onto a pan over medium low heat. Flip over when one side is toasted and repeat with the other side.
- Cook until cheese and chocolate are melted and then serve immediately.
Photos styled and taken by Jill Chen/Freestyle Farm
Eat Boutique discovers the best small batch foods by boutique food makers. We share recipes, maker stories and city guides to eating boutique. We host tasting events and markets for food makers, cookbook authors and food fans. We craft seasonal, regional gift and tasting boxes and sell individual items that you can order in our shop.
Eat Boutique is the go-to resource for all things food gifts, including one-of-a-kind, small-batch products and inspirational articles. We’ve got food gifts in our award-winning shop and story-driven recipes for everyday cravings, special occasions, and for anyone who needs a little food gift love—and, really, who doesn’t?!