I will take figs any possible way you can serve them: as a jam, on pizza, with ice cream, stuffed with goat cheese, dipped in chocolate, on a salad, by themselves…shall I go on? And now, Denise has gone and grilled them and dressed them up with marscarpone and a port reduction – I am beside myself. This is one of the prettiest summer desserts I could imagine serving. – Maggie
I began grilling fruit a few summers ago and still think it was one of the best food decisions I’ve made. I remember the timing remarkably well. I was in a bit of a rut, looking for something to serve with a grilled pork loin. The obvious was a tomato based salsa, but, I was bored with the usual. So, I took some peaches, sliced them in half and began grilling.
- 1 pint figs, cut in half
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup of port
- Preheat your grill according to the directions of your grill. Once ready, lay each fig onto the hot grill. Gently cook the fruit only until there are slight grill marks and the fruit is slightly warm; about 1 – 2 minutes per side. The timing depends on how hot the grill is and how large the figs are. Remove from the grill and set aside.
- Whip the mascarpone cheese with the brown sugar until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, gently heat the port. Cook until reduced in half, about 13 minutes. Remove from the heat. The port will thicken as it cools down.
- To serve: put a dollop of sweet, mascarpone cheese into a small serving bowl, scatter with some of the grilled figs and drizzle a small amount of port over the top.
All photos styled and taken by Denise Woodward.
Eat Boutique discovers the best small batch foods by boutique food makers. We share recipes, maker stories and city guides to eating boutique. We host tasting events and markets for food makers, cookbook authors and food fans. We craft seasonal, regional gift and tasting boxes and sell individual items that you can order today.
Eat Boutique is the go-to resource for all things food gifts, including one-of-a-kind, small-batch products and inspirational articles. We’ve got food gifts in our award-winning shop and story-driven recipes for everyday cravings, special occasions, and for anyone who needs a little food gift love—and, really, who doesn’t?!