Tis the season that I do a lot of baking. I’ve been baking cookies now for a couple of weeks, cookies for gifts, cookies for parties, cookies for my husband to bring to his colleagues and cookies just to munch on. I always bake my classic Christmas cookies and more recently, I’ve added Maggie’s fantastic molasses cookies to the repertoire. This year I found a recipe for ambrosia macaroons in Bon Appetit that has quickly become a new holiday favorite. That’s because the chewy, flaky, orange-scented chocolate-covered macaroons are delicious for one, and they’re also super easy to make. But the best thing is that the recipe yields a large quantity — and that certainly is a gift to be thankful for this time of year.
- ½ cup (1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 eggs
- 24 ounces sweetened flaked coconut (about 6 packed cups)
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 °F. Line rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add sugar and salt; beat until blended. Beat in orange peel, then eggs, 1 at a time. Mix in coconut.
- Drop batter onto sheets by tablespoonfuls, spacing 1 ½ inches apart. Bake macaroons, 1 sheet at a time until golden on the bottom and browned in spots, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool completely. Using a fork, drizzle chocolate over macaroons. Cool until chocolate is firm.
Eat Boutique is an award-winning shop and story-driven recipe site created by Maggie Battista. After hosting pop-up markets for 25,000+ guests, Maggie is now focused on opening her first permanent Eat Boutique–a food-retail concept space with a new way to the very best food. Her second cookbook, A New Way to Food: Recipes That Revamped My Pantry & Made Me Love Me, At Last, will be published by Roost Books/Penguin Random House in 2019. Her first cookbook, Food Gift Love, features more than 100 food gift recipes to make, wrap, and share and is available wherever you find favorite cookbooks.